Kids Love to Climb
Our Youth Recreational Program is one of the best in the city for youth climbers of all skill levels.
Whether your kids are new to the sport or are experienced climbers, our instructors will help them develop their climbing skills each week in a fun, pressure-free environment.
New participants will focus on the fundamentals: footwork, body positioning, movement, terminology and more. As they gain more experience, they will work on honing their technique and knowledge to help them grow into strong climbers.
Each lesson begins with a warm-up followed by a mix of dedicated climbing time, challenges, technical drills and related exercises.
Age Groups & Levels
Age groups: 12-14, 14-18
Note: we plan to run classes for kids ages 8-11 again once we are ready to accommodate them.
Our program is divided into a level system. This allows us to group our climbers according to their interests and goals.
- Level 1 (1 class/week): Climbers in Level 1 focus on having fun while learning fundamentals and gaining comfort on the wall. Level 1 is ideal for new climbers and those who are more interested in climbing purely for fun than working toward specific climbing goals, regardless of experience level.
- Level 2* (1 class/week): Climbers in Level 2 focus on improving their climbing technique through drills and technical instruction. Level 2 is ideal for focused climbers who have substantial experience (completion of multiple terms of Level 1 and/or consistent, weekly climbing for several months) and are interested in beginning to work on improving their technique and getting stronger.
- Level 3* (1 class/week): Climbers in Level 3 focus on further improving their technique and developing the physical and mental strength required to become a strong climber. Ideal for dedicated climbers with extensive experience (completion of multiple terms of Level 2 and/or consistent, weekly climbing for over a year) who want to push themselves.
- Development* (1 class/week in addition to L3): The development class is intended for climbers who are on track to join the advanced group. Ideal for climbers who have great potential and need to continue developing fundamentals before making the next step.
- Advanced* (2 classes/week): The advanced program takes all elements of level 3 and places further emphasis on individualized technical and physical training as well as self-analysis and independence. Only the most dedicated climbers in our program who demonstrate a consistent desire to improve will be considered for tryouts. Tryouts take place when spaces become available. The advanced program is ideal for climbers who want to push themselves to climb at an expert level, and for climbers who are working toward joining our competitive team. Please contact James at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New registrations for Spring 2020 session will open on Monday, February 24th at 10am.
Please register in person or by phone. Registration is not confirmed until payment has been received. We do not hold bookings without payment.
Climbers who are currently enrolled in our program are given roughly one month to reclaim their spots before registration opens. Because of this, it is common for classes to fill up before new climbers get a chance to sign up. If you are unable to register for your desired class, we can add you to the wait list.
Climbers must register in the appropriate age group according to their age on the first day of the term. Exceptions may be made in special cases (pending approval from the program director).
Offerings may be subject to change.
Price includes HST. The program fee includes use of climbing shoes, harness, and chalk, as well as a Rec Program t-shirt.
Fall 2019 (10 classes) – $361.60