(last updated July 20, 2021)
Please read these policies carefully before coming to the gym, to avoid disappointment.
As of July 20th:
- Introductory Lessons are available starting July 27th (max 4 people per lesson).
Previous updates that still apply:
- Reserved sessions are 1 hour 45 minutes long.
- Routes capacity is now 36 climbers at a time; Bouldering remains at 12 climbers at a time.
- Masks with vents are not allowed, as we understand they provide no protection at all for others (see https://www.sciencealert.com/this-chart-shows-the-best-and-worst-face-masks-for-each-situation/amp)
- Rental gear (harnesses and shoes) is available, and will be set aside for 3 days after each use.
- Only liquid chalk is allowed for bouldering. For routes, liquid chalk is recommended; chalk balls are allowed.
We have adopted a number of policies designed to keep our staff and customers as safe as possible, and to align with all special bylaws currently in effect. This is very different from how they were before the pandemic, and we ask for your help and cooperation in adapting. Please review all policies carefully. We started with many restrictions to be extra careful, and are reassessing each week. We will relax these constraints when we feel our staff and customers are ready, based on case numbers and vaccination levels.
Before You Come to The Gym
- All visitors to True North Climbing must complete the COVID-19 waiver form specific to the current conditions. This is in addition to our regular waiver, which must be up to date (completed within the last 2 years).
- Climbing must be pre-booked online. Occupancy will be limited to avoid over-crowding. No walk-ins at this time. No spectators (all who enter must have a paid session). Here is the online booking form.
- Do not come to climb if you are feeling unwell or experiencing any symptoms. Do not come to climb if you have reason to believe you may have been exposed to the virus.
- Admission is currently limited to those 13 or older.
- Please come prepared to climb. The lockers and showers are not available at present. Bring as few belongings with you as possible. Do not bring food.
Policies Regarding Memberships, 10-visit passes and Day Pass Pricing
- You may activate your membership on your first visit back to the gym. We appreciate the support of those who are willing to do this to help us get the business back to a sustainable level.
- You may keep your membership frozen without any freeze fee until further notice, and instead pay a Session Fee of $20 per climbing session (including HST).
- Similarly for 10-pass holders, you have the option of using one of your existing punches (with our thanks for the extra bit of support), or you may instead pay a Session Fee of $20 per climbing session (including HST).
While You Are At The Gym
- While awaiting entry, line up 2m apart (there are markings on the floor in the entrance hallway).
- A contactless thermometer is available for voluntary temperature screening. All staff will be screened before each shift.
- Masks or other mouth and nose coverings must be worn at all times by all in the gym, including while climbing. We have disposable masks for sale for $1. Bandanas and masks with vent holes are not allowed. Masks may be removed only for a brief drink, while keeping 2m from others.
- No food may be consumed in the gym.
- No loose chalk. We strongly recommend liquid chalk, and require it for bouldering. Chalk balls may be used by route climbers only at present.
- All visitors to the gym must check in and check out on every visit. Our software can produce a list of those who were in the gym at the same time to support contact tracing. We will only share this information when requested to by public health authorities.
- Payment is by credit/debit card only, or when booking online. No cash is being accepted at present.
- Lockers and showers and the water fountain are out of service at present (the bottle filling spout is still available). Bathrooms remain available, with a limit of 2 people in the change rooms at a time.
- Please wash your hands or use hand sanitizer (available throughout the gym) often, ideally before/after each climb.
- Please keep at least 2m apart from anyone not in your household/social bubble. Do not use a rope or auto belay line if someone is climbing on an adjacent line. Be aware of other climbers on the bouldering wall and keep your distance. There will be occupancy limits in some areas of the gym (e.g. fitness area, bouldering wall) to avoid over-crowding. Please respect the staff when they enforce these limits.
- Please be aware of others around you as you move around the gym to avoid bumping into others and to maintain physical distancing.
- Many of our usual services are not available at this time: Day Camp, Birthday Parties, Group events.
- Our staff will be regularly sanitizing common touch points on a daily schedule. We have a fogging device that is used to disinfect the holds regularly. Please note that it is not practicable to sanitize the climbing holds between climbers. We are relying on masks and good hygiene to manage that risk.
We will assess all of these policies on a continuing basis, and adjust as needed. We know all of this is very different, and the situation is difficult for everyone. We ask for your patience and kindness to help make this work. Climbers who repeatedly violate these policies will be asked to leave, for the comfort and safety of our staff and other customers. There is no tolerance for abuse of the staff. Thank you for your support as we work our way back to something close to normal.